Monday, November 15, 2010

Birthday shout outs

So on my birthday I came home to find a thick/bulging envelope laying just inside the door (where stuff lands when the mailman shoves it through the slot). Letter bomb? NOPE. Just the greatest gift ever: a rice krispie treat from my AWESOME cousin Shanna!!! Over the years she has livened up my birthdays with these lucious treats at USAFA, the Canadian Arctic, France, and now New England. Shout out to Shanna: YOU FREAKING ROCK!!!


My grandma used to latch onto the one thing you liked and then would give that to you for your birthday year after year (along with a crisp $2 bill-which adds up annually with 47 grandkids). For me it was rice krispie treats and mustard pickles. I got a pan of the former and a jar of the latter for at least 10 straight years. If Grandma had put half as much marshmallow into those treats as she put heart, they would have been a lot less hard...but I'll take heart over marshmallow any day.

Also a big thanks and shout out to my talented wife, who somehow manages to make a great thing AMAZING year after year (I'm talking about yellow cake with chocolate frosting, of course). Thanks, Wife-your cake is the BEST!

2 comments:

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

Wow! That's a SUPER layered cake. I've only been brave enough to attempt a double layer cake. Brittney is awesome. :)

Shanna Rekow said...

Thanks Chris! I'm glad it got to you safe and sound. Maybe next year I should send mustard pickle flavored rice crispy treats.:) I also think that cake looks amazing! I once tried to make a care bear cake and it looked more like a pink rat. Luke is now in charge of the cake making/decorating in our family.