Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rognon de Veau


So we had some friends who were nice enough to take us out to dinner with Ashton and Alaina. It was a nice, fancy French restaurant right across the street from their apartment. Normally, Britt's the picky eater, so I devote most of my energy to helping her pick out her meal so that I won't have to harass the waiter later to take it back. Despite previous bad experiences, she chose a steak, and we insisted that it be as near burnt as possible (which translates to a French chef as "not bleeding as much as normal"). Since I'll eat anything, I haphazardly picked the 'rognon de veau' at the bottom of the menu, not knowing what rognon was, but knowing that veau (veal) was pretty good. When the meals came out, sure enough, Britt's steak was still mooing, and I noticed that I was definitely being served an internal organ of some sort. Not wanting to appear rude our ungrateful to our dinner hosts who were picking up the tab, I began eating, despite the meal's appearance, something akin to charred feces that still managed to be bleeding on the interior. I discovered a dish whose texture and taste were both completely foreign to me. Not only foreign, but well, GROSS. Every bite became more and more difficult, until I decided that I would chew with my mouth open so as to minimize my tongue's contact with the food, while shielding my open mouth from Richard, who had invited us there. Now, I'd like to note that I've been through two survival trainings, I've eaten bugs, grass, dirt, and even rotten walrus among the Inuit, but even my aversion tactics of imagining I was eating a cheeseburger weren't enough to keep me from eventually gagging. I couldn't hide that from Richard and he finally said, "hey you don't have to eat that if you don't like it!". "No, no, it's fine," I assured him. I couldn't keep up the charade for long, and eventually the cat was out of the bag. Luckily, Ashton was brave enough to try a bit and confirmed that it was, in fact, disgusting. I asked the waiter later (who had conveniently disappeared for an hour, preventing me from complaining and from sending Britt's steak back) and he had no idea what rognon was, but knows that he would never ever order it. Wow, jerk, thanks for sharing that tid-bit AFTER I choked down 3/4 of it. So, Britt ate as much of the bloody beef as she could choke down, and I ate a bleeding/burnt internal organ. It was still nice of our friends to buy, though, and we burned it all off later playing wii. What was the mystery organ? KIDNEY.
a;klj

Notice the burnt-feces quality of the dish

This is the bloody interior

3 comments:

The Nate and Sara Project said...

You brave, polite souls. I would throw up and curse in french. :)

Kylie said...

gross.

Anonymous said...

oh chris, i can't believe you had rognon de veau! it's about the most disgusting thing ever haha that sucks. well i hope you guys feel better though... and like your wife i hate steak when it's like bleeding so i always ask for bien cuit and i usually don't have any problems lol

valerie (montreal haha you know me!)