This is the only photo we have with one of us and him in it together...June 14, 2008
Thanks to a last minute ‘meet and greet’ invite, we got on the official list and went to the backyard of the Ambassador’s residence (a ginormous mansion with about a 75 yard long back yard) to meet President George W. Bush and his wife Laura. He gave about a 2 minute speech on how good US/France relations are right now and then hit the crowd to press some flesh. There were only about 150-200 people, but all were spread out so much that it didn’t feel like a big group. We got crowded out by the interns, but I managed to stand on my tip toes and got him to notice my hat. He reached over the interns and I then got to shake his hand. Britt missed out on that pass, since a lady we met with a cute baby filled in the hole to get her baby passed to the President. We moved to a different area, where we saw some friends from church with their newborn little boy. I told them to pass the baby to Britt, who had managed to get close to the railing. Britt held the baby out lion-king style and successfully used the kid (Gavin) as her meal-ticket to get access to the President! He said “oh, a young mother!” to which she replied “it’s not my baby!” The other couple got their photo and Britt got her handshake. I got to shake his hand later during a group photo op. We stared each other in the eyes for about 2 seconds, and I think I muttered an inaudible “Mr. President” under my breath. I guess I could’ve spazzed out worse than that……
He’s only about my height, which was surprising. He was really friendly with everyone and really knew how to mingle with the crowd. I was really impressed with him. Security was INCREDIBLE! A huge area was blocked off and you could see guys with huge binoculars on the roof. I can’t imagine the logistics that go into every one of his visits. What a cool opportunity!
Thanks to a last minute ‘meet and greet’ invite, we got on the official list and went to the backyard of the Ambassador’s residence (a ginormous mansion with about a 75 yard long back yard) to meet President George W. Bush and his wife Laura. He gave about a 2 minute speech on how good US/France relations are right now and then hit the crowd to press some flesh. There were only about 150-200 people, but all were spread out so much that it didn’t feel like a big group. We got crowded out by the interns, but I managed to stand on my tip toes and got him to notice my hat. He reached over the interns and I then got to shake his hand. Britt missed out on that pass, since a lady we met with a cute baby filled in the hole to get her baby passed to the President. We moved to a different area, where we saw some friends from church with their newborn little boy. I told them to pass the baby to Britt, who had managed to get close to the railing. Britt held the baby out lion-king style and successfully used the kid (Gavin) as her meal-ticket to get access to the President! He said “oh, a young mother!” to which she replied “it’s not my baby!” The other couple got their photo and Britt got her handshake. I got to shake his hand later during a group photo op. We stared each other in the eyes for about 2 seconds, and I think I muttered an inaudible “Mr. President” under my breath. I guess I could’ve spazzed out worse than that……
He’s only about my height, which was surprising. He was really friendly with everyone and really knew how to mingle with the crowd. I was really impressed with him. Security was INCREDIBLE! A huge area was blocked off and you could see guys with huge binoculars on the roof. I can’t imagine the logistics that go into every one of his visits. What a cool opportunity!

My lovely wife in the huge backyard. Check out the huge flags on each side!

This was during a speech standing next to the ambassador.

This was the first baby we helped get passed up. Cute kid!

This is our friends' baby that Britt passed up lion king style so she could get her handshake.
5 comments:
Hey Mr. Gamble,
This is Adam Sandor sending you a quick comment on the blog-o-sphere. We are living in Wales right now where I am finishing a Master's Degree in Security Studies (and they are paying me to do it- sweet). Why are you in France? Are you a fancy military attache or something like that? Figures you would be working for the empire. HA!
Drop us a line sometime if you'd like.
Hey Chris,
Looks like your having fun. Sarah and I are at Laughlin right now, but we are going to be moving here pretty soon as UPT didn't pan out. I got cut for airsickness- long story. Now I am a physicist for the Air Force. Send me an email at Benjaminroth17@gmail.com
I am not working for anyone. I interviewed for a research fellowship in Citizenship and Security at the University of Wales Aberystwyth that covers full international fees, gives us a monthly living stipend, monthly travel stipend and research costs. It is just one year though, so I am writing my dissertation right now.
What University are you at?
We are heading back for a week in early July, and then back for good Sept. 1st. Then we will figure out what happens since I am meant to start my PhD at ASU that very same week.
That is awesome about Sciences Po! Didier Bigo? Laurent Bonelli? It is called the Paris School of Security you know! I am focussing on a lot of what they study for my dissertation. It's about Post-Colonial Security in France and Britain- Policing of migrants from North Africa in the Banlieues.
Ok, that was way too funny about useing the baby for a "meal ticket"! You two are so lucky to be able to see other parts of the world. Hey no complaints really, I love Preston I just want to visit futher out than Salt Lake or Vegas. You 2 look so happy, it is good to be able to catch up on old class mates and see what they are now up to... Laci (Lewis) Smith=)
Post a Comment