This was our awesome spread of food. Non-student guests bring REAL food. Those deviled eggs didn't last long...
Elaine cutting the cake britt made. Notice our sweet punch bowl...May 31, 2008
About a month ago, we were eating dinner at our friends’ house when they told us that their 35th anniversary was coming up. Britt got the idea to throw them a surprise party and so we brainstormed on how to make it happen. She finally invited them over to play some games (on a week’s notice) and we mobilized to throw a party together. We were really surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response by those we invited. Anyways, on the big day, I was joking with Britt that it would be terrible if one of them fell sick and they called to cancel and that my experience as a missionary was that if you called to confirm, you often got cancelled on, so it was sometimes best not to call. Well, I went off to help a lady in the ward move and then got a call from Britt around 5:45 (the party was supposed to start at 7, and I got stuck and couldn’t even get home until 6). She said that the guests-of-honor had called while she was in the shower and said that Richard was sick and they couldn’t come! We panicked at the prospect of the party falling through our fingers. I called a couple I considered wise and experienced and asked what to do. He didn’t have any magic answers, so Britt ended up calling and spilling the beans. They were flattered and decided they would come and at least make an appearance. Another great couple came over and decorated the place. It looked terrific! When they finally arrived, some knew that they knew and others didn’t, so we told them to act surprised!
The party turned out really well in the end and we had about 20 people total. I think it’s the most we’ve ever had at our place at one time. We even busted out our two cake plate/punch bowls that we got for our wedding for the first time. And, since it was our first big “adult” party (non-college students), people actually brought GOOD food-meaning something other than chips and cookies you buy at Franprix. The highlight of the evening for me was when our 85 year old neighbor came downstairs wanting to see what was going on because she “smelled an odor”. I told her we were having a party and that she should join us. She politely declined, saying she wasn’t dressed well enough. I told her to get dressed and come down, but she only chuckled and wished me a good night. Well, 30 minutes later, she was back-dressed up, made over, and crashing my party! It was fun to have her. She told me and Alaina stories about her experiences typing things for the Allies during the war.
About a month ago, we were eating dinner at our friends’ house when they told us that their 35th anniversary was coming up. Britt got the idea to throw them a surprise party and so we brainstormed on how to make it happen. She finally invited them over to play some games (on a week’s notice) and we mobilized to throw a party together. We were really surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response by those we invited. Anyways, on the big day, I was joking with Britt that it would be terrible if one of them fell sick and they called to cancel and that my experience as a missionary was that if you called to confirm, you often got cancelled on, so it was sometimes best not to call. Well, I went off to help a lady in the ward move and then got a call from Britt around 5:45 (the party was supposed to start at 7, and I got stuck and couldn’t even get home until 6). She said that the guests-of-honor had called while she was in the shower and said that Richard was sick and they couldn’t come! We panicked at the prospect of the party falling through our fingers. I called a couple I considered wise and experienced and asked what to do. He didn’t have any magic answers, so Britt ended up calling and spilling the beans. They were flattered and decided they would come and at least make an appearance. Another great couple came over and decorated the place. It looked terrific! When they finally arrived, some knew that they knew and others didn’t, so we told them to act surprised!
The party turned out really well in the end and we had about 20 people total. I think it’s the most we’ve ever had at our place at one time. We even busted out our two cake plate/punch bowls that we got for our wedding for the first time. And, since it was our first big “adult” party (non-college students), people actually brought GOOD food-meaning something other than chips and cookies you buy at Franprix. The highlight of the evening for me was when our 85 year old neighbor came downstairs wanting to see what was going on because she “smelled an odor”. I told her we were having a party and that she should join us. She politely declined, saying she wasn’t dressed well enough. I told her to get dressed and come down, but she only chuckled and wished me a good night. Well, 30 minutes later, she was back-dressed up, made over, and crashing my party! It was fun to have her. She told me and Alaina stories about her experiences typing things for the Allies during the war.

This is our elderly neighbor from upstairs who crashed the party. Ashton and Alaina are hearing her war stories.
Dave, a fellow deviled egg fan.
No comments:
Post a Comment